The Zurich School of Music, Drama and Dance was founded in 1999
and is a member of the new Zurich Universities of Applied Sciences.
However, the SMD’s three departments, with their partner schools, have a
long history and tradition to look back on.
In 1873, the «Musikkollegium Winterthur» ran the first School
of Music in the Canton Zurich. Two years later, the city of Zurich
also had a «Musikschule». In 1999, the two institutions were united,
at which moment the professional Jazz School, founded in 1977
by renowned Jazz musicians, was integrated into the newly founded
The SMD’s Drama Department had its forerunner in the
«Buhnenstudio Zurich», an institution founded in 1937 with the fellowship
of the «Schauspielhaus», Zurich’s main theatre, and was
renamed «Schauspiel Akademie Zurich» at the beginning of the seventies.
The SMD’s Dance Department is a national institution, founded
in 1946 as «Schweizerische Theatertanzschule» and integrated in the
Zurich Opera in 1966. In 1986 the «Ballettberufsschule AG» was founded.
It was incorporated by the SMD in 2001.