town of Oberlin, Ohio, now with an 8,600 population was founded
in the spring of 1833. Already in December 29 men and 15 women students
were admitted to then Oberlin Collegiate Institute. In 1850 the
Institute was renamed the Oberlin College. The department of music
was added in 1867.
The Oberlin College today cherish traditions of its early
commitment to high intellectual standards, to liberal education,
to emphasis on artistic excellence as well as to high moral and
social obligations and responsibilities.
The Oberlin College combines The College of Arts and
Sciences (2,200 students) and the Conservatoire of Music (650 students).
The Conservatoire of Music offers diverse curricula.
The four-year undergraduate programme involving professional and
academic courses leads to a Bachelor of Music degree. The two-year
programme for performers leads to a Performance Diploma. The two-year
programme for post-graduates leads to an Artistic Diploma.
The Conservatoire also offers limited programmes for
post-graduates leading to the Master of Music (opera theater, conducting),
the Master of Music Education and the Master of Music Pedagogy.
All these are five-year programmes integrated with Bachelor of Music
Oberlinís facilities are unsurpassed by any school its
size. It has one of the nationís most extensive college library
collections, fine arts collections, first-rate facilities for performers,
for theater art students, for natural science studies, as well as
first-class computer equipment and sports complex.