The Royal Academy of Music, Aarhus was founded by Johan Nilsson in
1927. None of the teachers was employed on a permanent basis. Nilsson’s
chief occupation was that of court musician, singing teacher Thøger
Rasmussen was a schoolteacher and concert singer, and organ teaching
was provided by the organists from the cathedral and other
churches around Aarhus. It was only when the Aarhus City Orchestra
was formed in 1930 that the academy was able to offer teaching in
wind instruments, as it then became possible to recruit teachers there.
On 13th March 1944 The Royal Academy of Music became an independent
institution. In 1955 the academy was awarded its first Government
grant, so the former student payment was considerably reduced. The
activities could be expanded, and so the academy’s list of subjects
and degrees offered was continuously developed and expanded up to
the start of the 1960s.
1954 saw the introduction of a degree in choral conducting, and
courses were given in orchestral conducting, with master classes
also available. Instruction was provided in those instruments and
subjects that enabled competent performance of classical (including
1963 saw the beginning of a new era at the academy. Whilst the
heritage of classic musical continued to play a leading role at
the academy, modern music greatly increased in its importance. This
was seen in 1968 when The Royal Academy of Music for the first time
hosted the 23rd Young Nordic Music Festival, and the organizers
selected a programme comprised of only modern music.